As an employment law firm, we deal with clients facing a wide array of employment-related issues. Often, these issues can put the future of their career in jeopardy. Our job is to help these people keep their jobs and ensure they are treated fairly in the workplace. Continue reading and reach out to our Bon Air employment attorney to learn more about the five most common employment law issues we see and how we can help if you are facing one of them.
5 Common Employment Law Issues
- Employment Discrimination: Employers are prohibited from discriminating against their employees because of certain protected characteristics, such as race, age, disability, religion, sex, or gender. If you were demoted, not hired, wrongfully terminated, or were otherwise punished because of a protected characteristic, you may have a valid discrimination claim.
- Worker Retaliation: If you recently reported an injustice in the workplace and you were retaliated against by your employer, you should understand that the law is on your side. Employers are prohibited from retaliating against employees who seek justice in the workplace, and our firm is on your side.
- Wrongful Termination: Virginia is an employment-at-will state, which means that employers can legally hire or fire anyone, and for any reason. However, if you were fired because you were discriminated against, retaliated against, or in violation of public policy, you may have a valid case.
- Wage & Hour Law Disputes: Employers in Virginia are responsible for paying qualified employees the state minimum wage and, in most cases, overtime pay. If you believe that you qualify for minimum wage or overtime pay and your employer is refusing to comply, you should speak with our Midlothian employment lawyer here at our firm. We can help you receive the pay you deserve.
- Sexual Harassment: Sexual harassment is unacceptable, whether in the workplace or otherwise. Few things are more degrading and insulting, and, at times, frightening. If you believe you are a victim of sexual harassment in the workplace, our firm is here to fight for you and hold the right people accountable.
If you believe you’ve encountered any of these issues firsthand, the most important thing you can do is speak with an experienced employment attorney who can assess your case and determine the best path forward. Give us a call today.
CONTACT OUR VIRGINIA EMPLOYMENT ATTORNEY
At Passero Employment Law, we understand it is difficult to confront problems in the workplace or face litigation. With that in mind, we take a solutions-oriented approach to our representation – focusing on the right process and the right solution for each of our clients. If you need help with an employment law matter in the state of Virginia, you can count on Passero Employment Law to effectively represent your interests. If you would like to discuss your matter, please contact Passero Employment Law today.