Our firm understands the stress our clients face when they are discriminated against in their workplace. If you are in this unfortunate situation, do not hesitate to reach out to our firm today to speak with an experienced Chesterfield County employment discrimination attorney about your options.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT KINDS OF DISCRIMINATION COMMONLY FOUND IN THE WORKPLACE?
It is unfortunate that there are so many different occurrences of discrimination found in the workplace. Some of the most common that our firm has seen include the following:
- Race Discrimination: Race discrimination is when your employer has discriminated against a person on the basis of their skin color or their racial origin in the workplace.
- Age Discrimination: Age discrimination happens when an employer treats an applicant or employee differently as a result of their age (age 40 or over). For instance, companies might refuse to hire or will fire employees just because of their age. If you lost your job, were demoted, or were otherwise penalized because of your age, you may have an age discrimination claim because your employer may have violated the Age Discrimination in Employment Act or Virginia law.
- Religious Discrimination: Religious discrimination occurs when employees are treated differently as a result of their religion, religious beliefs, or practices, and/or their request for accommodation. You may be eligible to file a discrimination claim against your employer if you feel that your employer discriminated against you as a result of your religion.
- National Origin Discrimination: This is discrimination because of an individual’s actual or perceived place of birth, country of origin, native language, accent, or ancestry.
- Disability Discrimination: Disability discrimination refers to discrimination against individuals because of a disability, perceived disability, or record of disability. Disability discrimination also incorporates refusing to provide reasonable accommodations to employees with a disability. If you have been a target of discrimination because of your disability, you may be protected under the Americans With Disabilities Act and Virginia law.
- Other protected classes: In total, Virginia protects employees discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, and status as a veteran.
It is in your best interest to reach out to our firm today if you believe you were discriminated against by your employer. Our firm will work tirelessly to ensure you and your rights are protected. All you have to do is give us a call today.
CONTACT OUR VIRGINIA EMPLOYMENT ATTORNEY
If you need help with an employment law matter in the state of Virginia, you can count on Passero Employment Law to effectively represent your interests. If you would like to discuss your matter, please contact Passero Employment Law today.