It is important to recognize that Virginia law protects those facing a wide range of discrimination in the workplace. If you are in this unfortunate situation, you are not alone. Give us a call today to speak with a skilled Chesterfield County employment discrimination attorney about the details of your case and your options.
What are the different types of discrimination typically found in the workplace?
Unfortunately, a number of different types of discrimination can be found in the workplace. Some of the most common include the following:
- Age Discrimination: Age discrimination occurs when an employer treats an applicant or employee differently because of their age (relevant to age 40 or over). For example, companies might refuse to hire or will fire employees just because of their age. If you lost your job, were downgraded, or were otherwise punished because of your age, you may have an age discrimination claim because your employer may have violated the Age Discrimination in Employment Act or Virginia law.
- Religious Discrimination: Religious discrimination happens when employees are treated differently as a result of their religion, religious beliefs or practices, and/or their request for accommodation. You may be qualified to file a discrimination claim against your employer if you believe that your employer discriminated against you as a result of your religion.
- National Origin Discrimination: This is discrimination as a result of an individual’s actual or perceived place of birth, country of origin, native language, accent, or ancestry.
- Race Discrimination: Race discrimination means that your employer has discriminated against an individual on the basis of their skin color or their racial origin in the workplace.
- Disability Discrimination: Disability discrimination refers to discrimination against individuals because of a disability, perceived disability, or record of disability. Disability discrimination also incorporates refusing to provide reasonable accommodations to employees with a disability. If have been a target of discrimination as a result of your disability, you may be covered under the Americans With Disabilities Act and Virginia law.
- Other protected classes: Also, Virginia protects employees discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, and status as a veteran.
If you believe you were discriminated against by your employer, do not wait to take action. Our firm will fight for you, your future, and your rights. We are just one call away.
CONTACT OUR VIRGINIA EMPLOYMENT ATTORNEY
At Passero Employment Law, we understand it is difficult to confront problems in the workplace or face litigation. With that in mind, we take a solutions-oriented approach to our representation – focusing on the right process and the right solution for each of our clients. If you need help with an employment law matter in the state of Virginia, you can count on Passero Employment Law to effectively represent your interests. If you would like to discuss your matter, please contact Passero Employment Law today.