How Can I Recognize and Report Workplace Discrimination?

Serving the Greater Richmond Area, Virginia, & Maryland

Contact Us

worker getting yelled at

If you are being treated differently at work based on something that you cannot control, like your age or gender, that could be workplace discrimination. An employer that treats you differently based on qualities like these, or one that allows other employees to treat you poorly based on qualities like these, should be held responsible for the damage that they cause. A Chesterfield County employment discrimination attorney is ready to help you address this behavior.

Which Qualities Are Often Targeted in Workplace Discrimination?

The federal government protects people from discrimination based on a number of qualities that they do not control. An employer cannot treat people differently due to things like:

  • Race
  • Disability
  • Color
  • National origin
  • Sex
  • Age
  • Religion

If an employer is deciding who gets hired, fired, or promoted based on these qualities, they are violating the law.

What Actually Qualified as Workplace Discrimination?

It is important to note that workplace discrimination cannot just come down to an offhanded joke or a comment or two. People occasionally say regrettable or inappropriate things, but unless they continue to act in the same way their behavior would probably not be classified as discrimination.

Workplace discrimination is a pattern of behavior that can make someone extremely uncomfortable while they are on the clock. It can also be a factor in how employees are hired, promoted, and fired. If a boss gives certain employees less of a chance at getting a raise or securing new opportunities because of a quality that they do not control, this is discrimination.

Where Do I Report Workplace Discrimination?

If you notice a pattern of workplace discrimination, you should first report matters to your company’s HR department. This starts a paper trail and takes away the employer’s ability to say that they did not know that there was a problem.

If the behavior continues or you are retaliated against for making a report to HR, it is time to bring the matter to a higher authority. You can report to the state Office of Civil Rights or the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Once either of these agencies receives your report, they can decide whether or not to investigate.

Do I Need an Attorney?

You are not required to go to a lawyer when you are making a complaint, but hiring one can help a lot. The employment attorney from our firm has significant experience with this process. He can help you make a convincing complaint that could make it more likely that the OCR or EEOC would actually investigate your employer for wrongdoing. There are no guarantees, but this lawyer is ready to put his experience to work for you.

Talk to an Employment Lawyer

If you are ready to learn more, contact Passero Employment Law. Our attorney can answer any questions that you have about what’s considered discrimination and how the reporting process goes. Our firm is ready to help, so schedule a consultation today.

Read Our Recent Blog Posts

Read More