If you have experienced discrimination in the workplace, it is important that you retain the services of a skilled and knowledgeable Midlothian employment law attorney who will fight for your rights. To learn more about the different types of discrimination in the workplace and how our firm can assist you, give Passero Employment Law a call today.
Types of Discrimination in the Workplace
Some of the most common types of discrimination in the workplace are as follows:
- Race Discrimination: Racial discrimination refers to discrimination against an individual on the basis of their skin color or their racial/ethnic origin in the workplace.
- National Origin Discrimination: National origin discrimination refers to discrimination due to an individual’s actual or perceived place of birth, country of origin, native language, accent, or ancestry.
- Age Discrimination: Age discrimination is when an employer treats an applicant or employee less favorably because of their age. For example, companies may refuse to hire or will fire employees simply because of their age. If you believe that you lost your job, were demoted, or were otherwise penalized because of your age, you may have an age discrimination claim on the grounds that your employer violated the Age Discrimination in Employment Act or Virginia law.
- Disability Discrimination: Disability discrimination refers to discrimination against individuals due to a disability, perceived disability, or record of disability. Disability discrimination also refers to refusing to provide reasonable accommodation to employees with a disability. If you’ve been discriminated against due to a disability, you are protected under the Americans With Disabilities Act and Virginia law.
- Religious Discrimination: Religious discrimination refers to treating employees differently because of their religion, religious beliefs or practices, and/or their request for accommodation for their religious practices. If you believe that your employer discriminated against you because of your religion, you may have a discrimination claim against your employer.
- Other protected classes: Virginia protects employees discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, and status as a veteran.
If you believe you were discriminated against in the workplace, we are here to help. Give us a call so you can tell us your story.
CONTACT OUR VIRGINIA EMPLOYMENT ATTORNEY
At Passero Employment Law, we understand it is difficult to confront problems in the workplace or face litigation. With that in mind, we take a solutions-oriented approach to our representation – focusing on the right process and the right solution for each of our clients. If you need help with an employment law matter in the state of Virginia, you can count on Passero Employment Law to effectively represent your interests. If you would like to discuss your matter, please contact Passero Employment Law today.