Where Do I Report Workplace Discrimination in My State?

Serving the Greater Richmond Area, Virginia, & Maryland

Contact Us

people doing business at laptops

It can be demoralizing to face workplace discrimination, knowing that you are treated differently or passed over for opportunities due to a facet of yourself that you have no control over. You do have recourse though. You can file a complaint and fight back against those who would try to hamstring your career. A Chesterfield County employment discrimination attorney can help you file a claim with the correct agency and make sure that you are heard.

Which State Agency Handles Workplace Discrimination?

If you have been discriminated against at a workplace in Virginia, you would make a report to the Virginia Office of Civil Rights. They have a form that you can fill out with all of the details. You need to tell them (among other things):

  • Your personal information, like name and address
  • Who discriminated against you, like an employer, employment agency, or union
  • How many people the company employs
  • Contact information for your employer
  • Specific details about the type of discrimination and when it occurred

Then the agency can begin its investigation.

Do I Have to Tell a Federal Agency About This Workplace Discrimination?

In some states, you have to report directly to the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. This is a federal agency with offices in many cities, including Richmond and Norfolk. This agency is also tasked with investigating instances of workplace discrimination.

Depending on your type of discrimination and claims, you should file with both the EEOC and the Office of Civil Rights in Virginia.

How Does the Investigation of My Claim Proceed?

The OCR will move through a few different phases as it evaluates your claim. The first stage is known as intake, which determines whether or not your complaint is substantive enough to go forward. If it is, you can move on to mediation, an attempt to solve this dispute between you and your employer without going to an investigation or court.

If mediation does not produce an agreement, an investigation of the claim of workplace discrimination is carried out and a decision can be reached.

It can be difficult to go through this process alone. An experienced employment lawyer can be at your side from the time you make the complaint until the OCR or EEOC reaches its decision. We can answer any questions that you have and help you write a detailed complaint that is sure to make an impression.

Learn More About Your Legal Options

If you have a workplace discrimination claim, we are ready to assist you. Contact Passero Employment Law and schedule a consultation. We can tell you more about the next steps and how a seasoned employment lawyer can help you right this wrong.

Read Our Recent Blog Posts

Read More